Consultant – Proposal Writing
Alfred Polo Foundation is a leading non-profit in support of youth sport programs and public education about the role of nurturing leadership as a method of positive youth development. The Foundation, with over 9 years of on-the-ground experience, has supported thousands of Kenyan youth through organising and sponsoring sports tournaments, while also training coaches and players, commissioning educational projects, convening career and leadership programs, and acting as a national thought leader on important youth issues.
Alfred Polo Foundation is creating a roster of proposal consultants across the country for a range of humanitarian and development focused opportunities. The consultants will be tasked with designing and developing competitive proposals based on field research, consultations with key internal and external stakeholders, input from technical and business development experts, and a thorough design process.
- Determine proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs; attending strategy meetings.
- Meet proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval; entering and monitoring tracking data; coordinating requirements with contributors; contributing proposal status information to review meetings; transmitting proposals.
- Develop proposals by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation; writing, revising, and editing drafts including executive summaries, conclusions, and organization credentials.
- Prepare presentations by helping create text and graphic visuals for projects.
- Maintain quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone.
- Improve proposal-writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approach, coordination, and implementing changes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; Business development preferred.
- At least 2-5 years of experience in program design and proposal development in a wide variety of sectors.
- Strong negotiation skills and experience developing multiple-partnership arrangements for proposal development.
- Ability to lead teams, handle negotiations and facilitate planning processes.
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines and in sparse working environments.
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills an absolute must.
- Knowledge of modern fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Proven ability to work productively with a wide variety of stakeholders to meet tight deadlines with an emphasis on producing quality products.
- Experience with a wide range of donors including USAID, UKAID and European institutional donors. Familiarity with other donors, including corporate donors, a plus.
- Experience developing and strong understanding of budget and cost proposal submissions, and personnel and staffing requirements for USAID, EU and other institutional donor proposals.
Job Type: Part Time
Apply for this position: